Friday, March 6, 2009

“You can drag a horticulture ........ "

It is Friday and given that somewhere in the Empire the sun is over the yard arm, it is time for a drink, preferably a gin and Dubonnet. My favorite place for a drink of a Friday evening or any evening for that matter, is the Oak Room at the Algonquin Hotel. I know there are lobbies infinitely more fashionable but the Algonquin with its deep dark oak paneling, golden nicotine tinted murals, pompous old long-case clock and really uncomfortable furniture just works for me.  I love it. I first went at the invitation of an old friend before the theater and go back whenever I'm in the city. That same evening I learned about Dorothy Parker and the rest of the Algonquin Round Table, or as they called themselves, the Vicious Circle.

"You can drag a horticulture, but you can't make her think." Dorothy Parker 

No comments:

Post a Comment