Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Sparrow hawks and drag queens


Not three feet from where I stood at the balustrade outside the National Gallery a sparrow hawk eyed me and then turned back to busy itself with its claws and whatever plans it had for decimating the pigeon and sparrow populations of Trafalgar Square. Judging by the dearth of either bird, the hawks. (apparently introduced for the purpose of depopulating the avian folk of the neighborhood) are doing a good job. For it's not often one got across Trafalgar Square without being shat upon by a pigeon or three. 


It would, I suppose, be unhealthy to wish that something similar might be done with the tourists that seem to clot together in impassible clumps, be it in London, Rome, Milan or Venice. 
  

With a similar lack of goodwill to my fellow man drag queen I whined all the way to the continuation of a birthday event (ex-student, just turning thirty) last weekend. Not my first choice, a drag bar, but the Friend of Dorothy Draper vibe caught my attention as I sat at the twenty-foot-long cloth-clad table and immediately broke a champagne glass flirting with the biggest rack I've seen since "Chesty" Morgan during the 1970s. 


I don't know who designed the place but I like it. My problem now will be to avoid becoming one the sad old geezers stuffing bills down cleavage. But, on the bright side, there's no VPL on a drag queen and that says a lot. 

14 comments:

  1. Yes, I've never been impressed by your sympathy for clumps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a mood lifter for sure! Surprisingly chic for a drag bar (from what I've seen in DC anyway). So when the pigeons are all eaten will the hawks move onto small children next? That may not be a bad thing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ArchitectDesign, thank you.

      Small dogs first, I think, then brats be they big or small.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. donna baker, thank you.

      I once endured a nine-hour flight with a brat across the aisle and I'm talking about the parent not the child.

      Delete
  4. "Friend of Dorothy Draper"! Don't think I won't be using that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Devoted Classicist, thank you.

      Friend of Dorothy Draper™ (just sayin')

      Delete
  5. Chesty Morgan, Seriously??? This is the first time I have had to resort to Google to understand one of your post. The NSA will certainly be intrigued by VPL, Chesty and Friends of Dorothy Draper. Those TSA guys are probably on the hunt for Chesty as I write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thank you.

      VPL is visible panty line and perhaps Chesty is too outré to have been recorded for posterity. She'll be lurking in some attics somewhere.

      Delete
  6. I needed you today. Thanks for a good read and big guffaw. You never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "friend of Dorothy Draper"

    We are very amused :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Down East Dilettante, thank you.

      We are very pleased :-)

      Delete