Tuesday, January 12, 2010

With these lines, a year ago today

I began blogging

The Blue Remembered Hills is an occasional journal of home: the journey to and from and how despite always being there, we can never go back.


Also, I appended the source of my blog name, a quotation from A.E Houseman's A Shropshire Lad.

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
This is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain.
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

My blog has given me such pleasure, far more than I ever could have expected, and I want to thank you all for that. For me, the Blue Remembered Hills has become the happy highways where I go - I see that shining plain. Thank you.

Photo of stair at Castle Drogo from Edwin Lutyens Country Houses: from the Archives of Country Life, Gavin Stamp, Aurum Press 2001.

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you did, and it's nice to have such charming and intelligent company on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pleasure is certainly ours too. I'm still stunned from your last post's picture of Plumpton Place reflected on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary and thank you for all your interesting posts. You have clearly made yourself a home away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such an enjoyable blog. It is the first thing I turn to each day - I have learnt things too, and love the blog roll!!
    Looking forward to the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your blogging birthday! Love you always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for being such an erudite, stylish guide. Your voice is always one of grace. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely lovely post, and thank you for having me along...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary - i look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A phenomenal year for Blue Remembered Hills and I am very grateful
    for our friendship. Your A E Houseman lines resonate with me and nail a feeling that I have been trying to find words for over many years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your very kind comments. I love hearing from you all and sometimes "thank you" seems inadequate but I don't know how else to say it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary Blue, an thank you for being a follower of my little start-up blog, I hope to be so distinguished a blogger when (and if) I reach mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Polskey, especially for the epithet 'distinguished.' Distinguished? Me? More a cranky old geezer but nonetheless, I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we should be thanking you. I've learned so much from you over these last few months. Now, may I come over and raid your old copies of AD and WoI?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peak of Chic - anytime. You know where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to you on your one year anniversary!
    I have always loved your blog name and now love reading where it came from.
    all the best,
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Joan, thank you and for your comment on Jennifer's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A marvelous highway marker! You have brought us just as much...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Barry, blogwise that is. It has always been a pleasure to read The Blue Remembered Hills even though I may not always agree, or worse still, understand the subject matter fully. It may well be outside my immediate remit, but the pleasure is always in learning the new, and that is the important point.

    I look forward to your next birthday.

    ReplyDelete