Monday, January 11, 2010

And the world was a song and the song was exciting


Plumpton Place was the last of the country houses Edwin Lutyens built for Edward Hudson.


It could be that I'm susceptible to romance and sentimentality tonight having seen A Single Man yesterday and The Young Victoria earlier today but I find these photos so beautiful its almost heartbreaking.

A Single Man has stayed with me, nibbling at the edges of my mood all day today and well into this evening. It's a superb film, beautiful to look at, very moving and if you haven't seen it, please do. Colin Firth, Julianne Moore (Moores' English accent is so convincing I had to Google where she was born - she was not born or raised in England) and Matthew Goode inhabit their roles but it's Colin Firth who rips the heart out you.

Photos from Edwin Lutyens Country Houses: from the Archives of Country Life, Gavin Stamp, Aurum Press 2001.

7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Barry!
    The last photo- so simple, yet so complex, is indeed moving.
    Don't you just love when a movie stays with you like that? I adore Colin Firth, so can not wait to see this!
    best,
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know about you-but I sort of love Lutyens work-it stands out amongst many-and for a brief time. you-Blue are a romantic. I have something on the Lutyens order tucked back for a moody day-maybe best saved for Valentine's Day.

    I must see both the movies. GT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say enough about A Single Man- so very moving and Colin Firth is amazing. The best movie I've seen in ages. In fact, can't stop thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Light, leaves, and water...I think it is all the cold that makes us crave them so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. House perfect- movie perfect!
    I could on and on about this house...Lutyens rules for ever!!!
    I am so glad to hear that you liked Single Man. Many (even the queers) in NYC have not liked it. I thought is was very very good and on so many levels. Ive even heard some make fun of her accent...also perfect.
    I wonder what T. Ford thinks of E. Lutyens...I do know he hates decor of the romantic or historically referenced variety- he finds it too fay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I love Colin Firth, and must see the movie! Beautiful images!!
    Karena

    ReplyDelete
  7. More Lutyens, thank you. I am going to have to do my own post
    about a particular house thanks to your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete